Re: TI-H: upgrade 85

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: upgrade 85

> I've heard of turbo on the 85, but what about replacing the cpu with one
> capable of 20 mhz?  How about buying a bigger version of it's ram chip(s)
> and replacing them.  Could the z80 acces the additional ram?

Everyone asks this.  Okay, first of all, open up your TI-85.  Think that
was hard?  Now look at the circuit board.  Think about it.  How would you
go about removing the current CPU and putting in a new one without killing
everything.  Don't say desolder.  Have you ever tried desoldering a PLCC IC
without killing things around it?  Okay, say you can physically replace the
CPU: what would you replace it with?

In short, the asnwer to your questions is no.  You can increase the speed
at which the onboard Z80 processor runs by decreasing the capacitance of
C9, and you can add external storage with the Expander devices currently in
design, but they do not just act as additional ram.

> _/_/_/_/

Could you get rid of whatever this is? It's annoying and long.

Tobin Fricke