Re: TI-H: Talk 85

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Talk 85

On Thu, 9 Nov 1995, becker wrote:

> I'm not agreeing, or disagreeing with anybody, but in ti-basic I know
> for sure that the calculators agree on a speed before the transmission,
> and hold that speed through the transmission.  I hope this helps.

?!?!?

Do you understand the difference between a synchronous and asynchronous
protocol? The TI uses (in its BUILT-IN routines) an asynchronous protocol
that uses a DATA line and an ACKnowledge line. The "transmission speed" is
in no way agreed upon before hand. Indeed, the "speed" of the transmission
is a function of the latency in the send and recieve routines. It doesn't
matter how long it takes to send one bit, because the transmissions aren't
directly clocked. The recieving calculator ACK's each bit it receives. The
speed is never fixed as you appear to suggest.

-Isaac

<pre>
--
Isaac Salpeter