Re: TI-H: ti-turbo

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: ti-turbo

Bharath Pola wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> started to desolder the cap out.  Well, guess what...I must of got
> impatient or less cautious or something and I burned a hole right through
> the ribbon wire connecting the main board with the display board.
> Needless to say, the calc doesn't work anymore.  But despite this, I'd
> like to try it again.  Can someone tell me if there's an easier way to
> remove the cap?  Also, my roommate was telling that from his experiences
> of TI-85s, whenever he removed the display board and put it back in, he
> lost a line or two of the display.  Can anyone confirm this?
> Thanks in advance!

Uggh, that must have been a pain... I guess you could solder some jumper
wires (maybe 30ga wire-wrap wire) across the ribbon cable..

Losing a line or two of the display sounds interesting. I've opened my
calc a dozen or more times, and it still works like new (except the keys
are slightly worn, after two years of button-pushing..). My LCD has
never had any trouble. I guess if you weren't careful taking the LCD
out, then you might loosen a connection and lose some LCD lines. From
what I can tell, they seem to be attached to the PCB by some
rubber/plastic means. Never could figure out how that strip of rubber
would conduct electricity in the right place, especially with so many
different lines to worry about.

<pre>
--
Greg Hill