Re: ti-emu: Oops, small update to V86 (v1.3b) and also, the _REAL_ speed

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: ti-emu: Oops, small update to V86 (v1.3b) and also, the _REAL_ speed of a TI-86

Read the comments inserted within...

>Greg Milewski wrote:
>

>--
>
> > now as for the comments I will no doubt recieve as a
> >result of this "mistake" in claiming that the TI-86 runs at 4MHz....
> >
> >I'M NOT WRONNG! AND I'M NOT MAKING IT UP!!!
> >

>http://www.ti.com/calc/docs/faq/83faq067.htm
>
>i've said it before, and i'll say it again... it's 6 MHZ!!!!!!
>

>as for your method of testing this out, there are quite a number of flaws
>in that.
>
>#1 is that on the emulator, the emulation is not affected by battery life.
>the real calc is.

So?  Fact is that at some point the calculator would run at 4MHz, right?
Now, also, I don't think that a processor can be dragged down 2MHz by
batteries which are pretty charged. (I can try it with new batteries if you
want)

>#2 it depends on how much memory is available on the calc and the
>emulator... resizing and memory allocation takes up quite a bit of clock
>cycles.

What ever, fact is it's the same program running off a backup copy of the
calculator, same calculator state in both cases, your point is moot.

>#3 using basic is an inefficient method of testing.  a basic interpreter
>slows down execution of code, ergo a processor that seems to be slower.

What ever, that plays no effect, because the same actions are being carried
out on the emulator as on the calculator.

>#4 rom versions and optimizations would also make a difference.

_HELLO_?!?! Didn't I _MENTION_ that it was on the same ROM?! HUH!? I even
_SAID_ _MYSELF_ that it would be moot to _NOT_ use the same ROM! (At least
on my webpage)

>there's more, but class is over, and i must go.

Now, I hope that all your _OTHER_ points have more ground than these.  Just
remember that _EVERYTHING_ is running the same on the calculator, and the
emulator!