ti-emu: TI-8x Emulation Project Status Report - Jan 98

[Next][Index][Thread]

ti-emu: TI-8x Emulation Project Status Report - Jan 98

Hello,

     You may not have heard about it before, but the TI-8x Emulation
Project is underway.  I am the coordinator/programmer for the project.
This is the first of what will hopefully become monthly status reports
until the project is complete.

     I started this project in the Fall of 97 because although a TI-85
emulator exists, it was only for PC's and I wanted something to emulate
my faithful TI-82.  I started thinking about it, and I realized that if
you go through all of the trouble to emulate one of the calculators, that
you should go ahead and emulate them all.  Eventually, the emulator
should be ported to all of the major platforms available.  The source
code will be freely available at the web site when it is at a more
complete stage.

     This is a list of what has been done so far in the emulator (v0.004):

Core Routines:
     * Z-80 Emulation code by Marat Fayzullin is being used
     * Z-80 Disassembly code by Marcel de Kogel is being used
     * TI-82 Display ports partially emulated (about 75%)
     * TI-82, 85, & 86 ROM page switching is working
     * 86 RAM page switching is working

MacOS PPC Specific:
     * 82, 85, & 86 display works
     * Multiple emulators can be run at once
     * Register window for debugging purposes with a full disassembly of
the current PC
     * Foundation of Mac interface

MacOS 68k Specific:
     No progress has been made in this area yet, the person doing the
port hasn't recieved a copy of the source from me yet.

DOS/Windows Specific:
     No progress has been made in this area yet, I am still trying to get
in touch with the person responsible for the port.

     My next steps in the emulation will be to add more debugging code to
the MacOS version so that I can see what's going on inside the thing.
Also, I will begin to add interrupt code to allow keypad presses to be
detected (fun!).  I need to know what the interrupt frequency is on each
of the calc's.  If anyone has that information, or any other information
which could be helpful for this project (anything on the hardware of the
83), please post a url to this mailing list, that way, everyone can
benefit from it.

Dennis

Maintainer of the TI-8x Emulation Project:
http://members.aol.com/smiley0242