[TIB] data type issue

[Next][Index][Thread]

[TIB] data type issue

I'm working on a die rolling program for when I play warhammer 40k and
need to roll obnoxious amounts of dice all at once and count the results.
Found my old TI-86 and figured it wouldn't be too hard. And it hasn't been
much of a challenge up till now. Here's what I've got so far:

ClLCD
Input "# of dice? ",D
ClLCD
For(R,1,D)
randInt(1,6)->ROLL
End

Now this is all fine and dandy.. for rolling a bunch of dice individually.
What I'd like to do is as follows:

ClLCD
" "->ALL
Input "# of dice? ",D
ClLCD
For(R,1,D)
randInt(1,6)->ROLL
ALL+" "+ROLL->ALL
End
Disp ALL

There's a little bit more to it than this, but you see my problem right
now I hope.. variable ALL is going to be used to store all the die rolls
so they can be output at the end in one lump rather than line by line.
Unfortunately the only way I can figure to do this so far is by the method
above ('ALL+" "+ROLL->ALL'), but this makes ALL a string and not an
integer, and as soon as I try to add each roll onto the end it complains
about data type problems. Is there a way to switch an integer into a
string and then tack it onto the end? Or maybe I am going about it wrong
and doing things in some sort of array format would work better (if that's
possible on a TI-86.. i'm working with no programming manual right now so
i've got no clue what the possibilities are).

Additionally, I'd like to add the option of it checking the results of
each die roll and if it's above a certain number it increments a 'success'
variable. In the end, I'd like something that ouputs similar to below:

40k-roller:

# of dice?: (input 6)
# to succeed?: (input 4)

[clears screen]