[TIB] Hunt the Wumpus challenge

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[TIB] Hunt the Wumpus challenge

Here's another Basic programming challenge to waste your
time:  Write a "Hunt the Wumpus" game in TI-Basic!  How
small can you make it?  (I guess 2000 bytes to be a
reasonable size.)

"Hunt the Wumpus" is available in a lot of other "toy"
languages: BASIC, Befunge, etc.  But to my knowledge no
one has done it in TI-Basic yet.

Basically, you have a collection of "rooms" through which
the player moves, some of which have deadly pits, some of
which have bats which carry the player off into a random
room in the maze, and one of which contains the Wumpus.
The player can sense pits and bats from one room away,
and the Wumpus from two rooms away.  If the player comes
within one room of the Wumpus, the Wumpus may move away
through the maze, ignoring pits and bats.  The player must
deduce the location of the Wumpus and shoot it with one
of his three arrows, which may travel up to five rooms'
distance (north, south, east, or west).  If there is no
passage in the direction of travel of the arrow, it will
ricochet off in a random direction, possibly bouncing back
to and killing the player.

  In the original "Wumpus", the rooms were positioned at
the corners of a dodecahedron; that is, there were 20 rooms,
each with 3 two-way connections to other rooms.  Making
a representation of this map in TI-Basic is probably the
biggest challenge of this problem.  (Talking point: How
would you store the game's map?)

Happy hacking!

 -Arthur