Re: TIB: Extracting data from a string

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TIB: Extracting data from a string

Ok, I only have an 83, but this should go for the 86 as well.  What I would
do is have set maximum lengths that string data (not the length of the
entire string, just an entry in the String). To do this, you just test the
length of the data, and if it fits in whatever size parition you want, then
just store it to wherever the next parition would start.  Like this:say you
want a parition length of 5; and the first entry was: "BOB"  The string
would look like this: "BOB_ _" (_=space).  Then the next entry would be
"MANDY"  The string would look like this: "BOB_ _MANDY"  And so on, you
could get something like this: "BOB_ _MANDYDOUG_555554444_333_ _22_ _ _1_ _
_ _"

So, all you have to do when when extracting is (provided you've formatted
your data str to set segments)  All you have to do is know at which parition
that data is in, multiply that number by the size of the parition, and
perform a sub( operation, with the length of it as the sizr of the parition:
sub(BIGSTR,PARITION#*PARITIONSIZE,PARITIONSIZE)  At least, thats how the
sub( command works on the 83. .. .

Did you understand?

>I'm writing an address book program, and have come to the
conclusion that