TIB: Re: Re: PC Serial Port Availability

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TIB: Re: Re: PC Serial Port Availability

You have little idea of what you just said, don't you?

There are things I must explain about this.  There are conflict problems
with not only COM ports, but the IRQ they attain also.  Best results are
when each device has its own COM port and each COM port has its own IRQ.

Common are limitations of only 4 COM ports, assigned an IRQ in a range of 3
to 7.  Newer software (Win95/8, and newer OSes) can handle more COM ports,
although many people favor USB over the dying serial port.

If you have an internal modem, and still have the instruction manuel, assign
a COM port of 4 to it.  If it isn't PnP, you'll have to look in your Device
Manager (Start|Settings|Control Panel|System|Device Manager|Computer) to
find what IRQs are available for your PC and assign one that isn't being
used to your modem.  The lower the IRQ, the higher the priority.

For the COM ports in your motherboard, you'll have to get into your mobo's
BIOS to change the settings for those.  If it is extremely old, you might
even have to open up your PC and mess w/ jumpers.  IF YOU HAVE TO OPEN YOUR
PC, BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL OF WHICH JUMPERS YOU CHANGE AND TO WHAT.  I
RECOMMEND HAVING YOUR MOBO'S INSTRUCTION MANUEL WITH YOU IF YOU WANT TO TRY
THIS.  Change the serial port(s) on your computer to use COM ports 1 and 2.
Give the lowest IRQ to the COM port you plan to attach your mouse to, as
most serial mice preform sluggish if not above IRQ 5.

Set up your devices in Windows accordingly or remove the old ones and search
for new (changed) hardware (Start|Settings|Control Panel|Add New Hardware).

It helps if you have two external serial ports and an internal modem.  If
you don't, then you're out of luck and you'll have to switch no matter what.
If you have a PS/2 mouse port on your PC, for GOD'S SAKES!! USE IT!!  Not
only is the mouse response incredibly faster, it won't slow down your system
by using another IRQ on the serial bus!

-Miles Raymond      EML: m_rayman@bigfoot.com
ICQ: 13217756       IRC: Killer2        AIM: kilier2
http://www.bigfoot.com/~m_rayman