Re: TIB: American High School Math Exam thingy...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TIB: American High School Math Exam thingy...

I don't remember the number, but I can describe the question.  Btw, this was
on the AMC 12, in case anyone's confused.  You had a circle with center O. OB
is a radius of the circle that has a length of 1.  You've got a line AB
tangent to the circle at B, and a line AO.  The lengths of AB and OA are
unknown.  Then you draw a line OC so that it is the angle bisector of angle
OAB, where C is a point on radius OB.  Got it so far?  You're supposed to
find out the length of OC.  It seems like it should be 1/2, but it turns out
that its 1/(1+sin /theta/), where theta is angle BOA.

Eric Tollefson
Cmdr ERT01@aol.com