RE: TIB: American High School Math Exam thingy...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: TIB: American High School Math Exam thingy...

here it is.
Let I, M, and O ve distinct positive integers such that the product
IMO=2001. What is the largest possible value of the sum I+M+O?
I dunno, I just figured that it's best to have a very large number
multiplied by a very small number so that the sum is maximum. Therefore I
divided 2001 by 3, got 667, and my answer is 667+3+1=671 (e).
The ones in the end are much more hardcore though. I'll copy one:
23. Professor Gamble buys a lottery ticket, which requires that he pick six
different integers from 1 thru 46, inclusive. He chooses his #s s.t. the sum
of the base-10 logarithms of his 6 #s is an integer. It so happens that the
integers on the winning ticket have the same property - the sum of the
base-10 logarithms is an integer. What is the probability that Professor
Gamble holds the winning ticket?
1/5; 1/4; 1/3; 1/2; 1
anyone in for this? I didn't even know where to begin :)
-ak