Re: TIB: A stupid question

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TIB: A stupid question

On Tue, 18 May 1999 16:48:56 EDT, Lizard3796@aol.com wrote:

>This is not so much a programming question as it is a math-logic question
>that happens to involve my calculator.  Please bear with me, it'll just
>take
>a minute:
>Unless I am wrong, the square of a negative number is positive, because
>it's
>a negative number times itself.  My calculator begs to differ.  When I
>input
>-3 x -3 it gives me what I'm pretty sure is the proper answer: +9.  (and I
>know that the '+' isn't neccessary there, but I'm trying to illustrate a
>point).  However, when I input -3^2 (that's to be read as "negative three
>squared" -- can't do superscripts on my email program), it gives me -9.  Is
>there something I'm just not getting here?  Please, my math level is about
>remedial, so I feel pretty stupid anyway..but, thanks to anyone who cares.
>~Alysha

That's to do with which order the calc interprets the equation in. This is
what the calc does:
You enter -3^2, first, the calc does 3 squared, which equals 9, then it
multiplies this by the negative, which makes it -9. Does that make sense?
To fix this, you can enter it as this:
(-3^2)
That will equal 9 on the calc.

James Vernon