TIB: A stupid question

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TIB: A stupid question

This is not so much a programming question as it is a math-logic question
that happens to involve my calculator.  Please bear with me, it'll just take
a minute:
Unless I am wrong, the square of a negative number is positive, because it's
a negative number times itself.  My calculator begs to differ.  When I input
-3 x -3 it gives me what I'm pretty sure is the proper answer: +9.  (and I
know that the '+' isn't neccessary there, but I'm trying to illustrate a
point).  However, when I input -3^2 (that's to be read as "negative three
squared" -- can't do superscripts on my email program), it gives me -9.  Is
there something I'm just not getting here?  Please, my math level is about
remedial, so I feel pretty stupid anyway..but, thanks to anyone who cares.
~Alysha