TIB: Re: TI-Basic Digest V1 #468

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TIB: Re: TI-Basic Digest V1 #468

 Jimmy Sheldon (James)  jsheldon@bigfoot.com
>Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 21:45:31 EST
>From: MathWiz314@aol.com
>Subject: TIB: Standardized Testing
>
>On the Texas Instruments web site under the TI89/TI92+ Discussion
>groups,
>someone mentioned that the TI89 was now banded from standardized tests
>because
>of symbolic manipulation.  Does anyone know if this true?

Under http://www.collegeboard.org 's pages on AP Calculus and SAT tests,
it says that the TI-89 is allowed since it lacks a qwerty keyboard....
You can double check tho make sure, but the last time I checked that's
what it said.

 BTW, It would give you no real advantage on SATs since they are a bunch
of word probs and geometry probs (The 89 lacks the 92's geometry
features.)

And on AP Calculus, there is one section that has no calculator, and the
rest of the questions are written assuming that people have access to
graphing calculators including the 89.  It might give you a slight speed
advantage, but most problems will either ask you to set up an integral
without solving, or ask you to justify your solutions or other creative
ways to make them "calculator-neutral."

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]