Re: TIB: Need help with math prog I am writing

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TIB: Need help with math prog I am writing

Hmmmm, I wrote a GREAT vector Program (at least I thought so...) a few years
ago, and as long as you're working with 2d vectors (3d, you'd have to use
your aproach) I believe you are overlooking a great feature of the 86 (and
85)----COMPLEX NUMBERS!!!   They can be input as rectangular [ (1,2)=1+2i ]
or polar (look in the manual).  There also exist functions to retrieve either
the x/y (real and imag) parts, or the radius and angle (not sure, check
manual, long time since I did this).  This simplifies your program so MUCH!
To find distance, subtract the two, and take the absolute value of the radius
of the result (polar-rectangular conversion on the fly, and you don't have to
mess with trig fucntions!)  Plus, you can output in polar or rectangular, etc
etc etc.  Although I've never used vectors really on the 85 (what I've got) I
found complex numbers an easy way to represent vectors.....especially to add
and subtract them too.  Of course, vectors may be the better solution, I
don't know, but if the complex numbers fit what you need, I highly recommend
using them......

Jeremy

Rosyna wrote:

> I am writing a Ti-Basic program for the 86 and need some help. This prog
> does vectors, and at the beginning it askes for two Points the it does a
> whole buch of stuff and tries to make it a rectangular equation (y=mx+k)
> but I cant for the life of me figure out how to do so. PLEASE HELP!!!!
> ---
> I pledge allegiance to the Mac of Apple Computer Incorporated, and to the
> developers for which it stands, one platform, under Guy, indestructible,
> with creativity and multimedia for all.

Follow-Ups: References: