TIB: Re:TI-Basic Digest V1 #115

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TIB: Re:TI-Basic Digest V1 #115

Thank you for adding your side of the story, Terrabull.  I agree that it
is easy to consume all your resources with programming in Basic, and
that does require a need for Assembly.  However, if a person cannot
write efficient programs in Basic, Assembly will not necessarily be a
good thing.

For one thing, you are taking a risk that your program can cause more
like unexpected crashes.  You'll need to rewrite your program every time
someone else runs shouting "Hey, I wrote a new shell!" or face the fact
that your program will become unusable as the shell you *were* using
gets upgraded or obsolete.

Then there's the deal with ROM versions.  Shell developers must keep
upgrading *their* programs so that it will comply with the new versions.
Think about FargoII for a second.  They are trying to make a program for
the new version and finding that it is not very backwards compatible.

It is a difficult job, and I may someday join in, but in the meantime, I
think people need to be able to master this high-level language and
mathematical algorithms, before dealing with the world of opcodes,
memory addresses, and compilers.  Anyone who wants to try it is welcome
to and can have my blessing.  However, if you do, please don't forget
the reasons for having assembly in the first place: smaller, faster
programs that add functionality to the calculator.

Tavis
Terrabull, thanks for making that statement here, and I wish you good
luck with your programs!