Re: TIB: Re: Multitasking

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TIB: Re: Multitasking

Michael Van Der Kolk wrote:
[...]

> Not true. I have written a cooperative multitasking OS in TI-BASIC. The
> main problem is switching folders which takes up a considerable amount of
> time if you want instruction by instruction code. However, I can get a
> couple of counters and drawing programs moving at an okay clip. To play
> tetris you would need to convert the program into a list of strings
> (mostly time, little skill needed). After a program is written all one
> needs is set a priority to the program and the game runs at an almost
> normal speed.

My point stands: You cannot do it without modifying each and every one
of your programs.
Also, if you have to access every program line from a list, it will work
at a considerably slower pace than usual.
Finally, you still can't say "Now I want to break this game to start
this program" without having an interrupt request that lets you do it.
You can't make the program mind-read your intentions. With that in mind
you once again have to face the problem of slowing your calc down
further by doing frequent interrupt polls.

>>  However, the cold, hard fact remains that we can't do cost-efficient
>>  (pseudo-)multitasking using TI-BASIC alone.
>
> If you can dream it, someone can program it,

Cost-efficiently? I don't think so. Time is always an important factor
in programming. Contemplate the towers of Hanoi...

--
          Rene Kragh Pedersen
Apparently my clothes are defective.

Follow-Ups: References: