Re: TIB: Novelties

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TIB: Novelties

> 2) Could a pair of linked TI-92s automatically determine a "host"
> and "client" based on the order the communications started?

I wrote a routine that I think is similiar to what you're looking for
for the 85 a long time ago. I found it and cut it:

:rand->D
:D->E
:Lbl Y
:Menu(1,"PLAY",B,5,"QUIT",Z
:Lbl B
:Outpt(8,3,"ESTABLISHING LINK"
:0->R
:While D==E
:Input "CBLGET",E
:R+1->R
:If R>10
:Outpt(6,1,"LINK ERROR--try again"
:If R>10
:Goto Y
:End
:ClLCD
:Outpt(4,3,"You are player #"
:If D<E
:Then
:2->G
:0->E
:Outpt(4,19,"2"
:Else
:1->G
:2->E
:Outpt(4,19,"1"
:End
:Pause

On the 8x, you can only use basic to recieve from the link and only
when the other calculator is paused, at a prompt, or at a menu. At
the end of this routine, G contains either a 1 or 2, indicating
calculator number. It is completely random and not related to who
ran the routine first as long as both ran the routine. If another calc
is not connected, you will get a link error after a few seconds. You
do not need to run the routine simultaneously. In fact, doing so will
cause one of the calulators to return an error. If both people run the
routine (choose "PLAY" on the menu) almost simultaneously, one
of the calculators will get a link error instantly. The other will be
assigned 1 or 2. Pressing "PLAY" again on the calc that returns
the error will give it the remaining number.