Re: TIB: "Programmer friendly"

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TIB: "Programmer friendly"

Rene Kragh Pederson wrote:
> Tavis Segura wrote:
> > "Programer friendly" displays are very useful, especially when you
> > are working with subroutines and a lot of multi-lined statements.
> > However, indenting can get in the way as well.  Keep in mind how
> > many letters the calculator screen can show in one line.
>
> I never had a problem with that...Are you using a TI-92 (I am)?

Yes, it's the only one I've been using now.  It's just that I've used
the '85 before.  I try to consider people who still use any TI-8X
calculator right before I post.

> > Indenting everything will make
> > it harder to read commands from the calculator than it would be if
> > nothing were indented.  Even then, it is still better to have some >
> parts
> > indented while editing.
>
> Absolutely.
>
> > I suggest keeping two copies of the program you are working on.
> > Edit the first one, using indentation, easily understood names,
> > and subprograms.  Make the other one the optimized copy, balancing
> > speed and size over readability after you know that your program
> > and its parts work, and updating it only after finishing the
> > first.  Make it more like manually 'compiling' your program, for
> > lack of a better term.
>
> This only works if you have a link to your computer, or if you
> delete the original (easy-to-read) program. I don't have a link (nor
> a PC), and I often decide to change a program later on, thus needing
> the easy version.

Ah, that is a good reason to keep all your programs easy to read.  I
wasn't aware of that.  I just received my Graphlink this past Christmas,
but it still did not keep me from writing anywhere from 2 to 5 copies of
my tank game 'Aim' just to see which one I preferred.  I still think 40
individual tank patterns is overkill, but it's in another copy on my
calc, along with the template for the testers, my personal copy w/cheat
code, and an extra one in which I'm adding a wind option.  Each one is
slightly less than 7k on the calc, and I still keep other stuff in my
calc.

[sliding off topic]  I've been thinking about uploading it to
ticalc.org, but I wanted to see if it would stand out among other games.
I then thought I should also make my own page for it, my other programs,
and maybe a few observations from the posts here, and release it on the
20th of this month.  YES, ALL YOU TESTERS!  I'M COUNTING ON YOU TO REPLY
WITH COMMENTS!  Well, that was refreshing...

Tavis