Re: TIB: HAL win95/dos

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TIB: HAL win95/dos

>Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 12:44:44 -0800
>From: "Douglas S. Oliver" <dsoliver@earthlink.net>
>Subject: Re: TIB: HAL  win95/dos
>
>I might point out that in a response to my original comment, the source
>was a manual on NT.  This may or may not be significant.  What is the year
>of publication?

Inside: Windows NT Workstation was published in 1996, a year after 1995
(release of Win 95) so in this case a book a year after Win 95 was
released so I tend to believe that a year of reflection on Win 95, for
the author (George Eckel) at least , it was decided that it was an
environment which DOS loads, just like Win 3.1 and it's ancestors.

For those who missed the quote:
"Windows 95 is an environment, not an operating system. It rides on top
of DOS. Many of the funcions that Windows preforms take place through
DOS." -- Inside Windows NT Workstation pg. 57

>Rene Kragh Pedersen wrote:
>
>> Rene Kragh Pedersen wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>> > P1: One (or both) sources must be wrong.
>> > P2: Source #1 is (indirectly) Microsoft.
>> > P3: Source #2 is (indirectly) Microsoft.
>> > ----------------------------------------------------
>> > C1: Microsoft is either wrong, wrong, or both... :-)
>>
>> OK...let's be fair to logic:
>> C1: Microsoft is either wrong and right, right and wrong, or wrong and
>> wrong... :-)

I think wrong and wrong, anyone else?
>> --
>>           Rene Kragh Pedersen