Re: TIB: Goto's

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TIB: Goto's

Christopher Robin MacDougald wrote:

> Rene Kragh Pedersen:
>
> Advantages
>  - Much easier to oversee
>
>         If you code it effectively it's not confusing.

No one said anything about confusing, but it is a known fact that
dividing a problam into smaller problems makes the task easier - at
least when programming.

>  - The task can be split up between multiple programmers if desired
>
>         Copy & Paste!

Yes, what about them?

>  - It is easy to modify a single subprogram. If you know what the
> program is supposed to return, you can make all the changes you want in
> it without affecting all the other code. Your main program relies only
> on the output from your subprogram.

This remains a big advantage

>  - You always know where the error, if any, is, as you test each
> subprogram independently.
>
>         Do one part at a time code then check!

What if each part is dependant of the other two? I'd have to finish the
work before being able to check. With subprograms I can just call the
particular program, using some input, and see what it returns.

>  - You don't have to search through 5k+ of code, a screen at a time, to
> find a particular place.
>
>         [ON] & GOTO

I use find (supposing that was what you meant?) all the time, but it's
not exactly easy to find the particular place where you address a
variable for the 83rd time...
Also, find does not work back up again :-(

> or Graph-Link!

I don't even have a PC, much less a link.

> Which reminds me all of the programs that I
> did I did w/o the GraphLink... I bought it after I had programmed all
> those... it was a pain.

Not with my method... :-)

>  - Runs using (considerably) less memory.
>
>         Programs running on top of programs is less memory when did that start.

Simple math:
A 10K program will always take up 10k+ when running.

Split it up, into
4k
2k
1.6k
1.4k
0.5k
0.5k

The program now minimizes at 4k+
See?

> Drawbacks
>  - More memory usage (very few % though!)
>         A very big draw back if you ask me!

Come on! We are talking an extra 14 bytes per program beyond the first.
I only put it as a disadvantage to avoid anyone trying to be pedantic. I
also wrote "(very few % though!)"...

> But the point is I program my way you program your way. As long as the
> gamers and end users are happy with the program/documentation/help then
> all is good!

Actually, the point was why we program as we do. :-)

BTW: Could I _possibly_ persuade you into using some commas? You are not
entirely easy to read. :-/

--
          Rene Kragh Pedersen
man: Why did you get a divorce?