Re: TIB: Back to TI-BASICs

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TIB: Back to TI-BASICs

Tavis Segura wrote:

> I would like to ask each of you about your personal style of writing
> programs.  If you had a choice to do both, would you prefer writing
> everything in a single program, or have several programs for your
> subroutines?  Which do you think game players would prefer?
>
> Which is more important, the program's size, its speed, how easy the
> program is to read, or how it affects the rest of the calc?  I'd like
> your opinion about this and what you think makes for 'good' TI-BASIC
> programming.
>
> Thank you for your time.
> Tavis

Wow! You caught me off-gaurd. A question about programming!?!?!
In my opinion it is much better to break a big program into several
other little programs. Actually, size doen't matter. If you do
anything in any program more than twice you should put it into a sub
program. Another thing to consider is speed. If the program is big -
and I mean BIG - you may notice a slow-down. The only time I noticed
this was writing the first verion of Monopoly when the calc was trying
to read things way down in the guts of the game. So, with that in
mind, I would have to say that the user prefers sub programs. As far
as speed and size, these depend on just what it is you're trying to
do. I've found that I have better success optimizing size...usually
there isn't a noticeable difference in speed. If you know exactly what
the program will change, you can record those variables at the start
of the program, and then restore them at the end.

Jody Snider
jody1@alaska.net