TIB: Re: Wasting Time

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TIB: Re: Wasting Time

I don't want to keep this up, but I guess I started this so I need to
speak.

To me, I prefer to program games.  It's just a cool thing to be in a
class (almost with) guys like Al Lowe.  I am only 18, and had a computer
since 1st grade.  (Commodore 64, first game Jumpman by EPYX)  Back then,
guys like us now were the only ones making games, like the guy who wrote
Commander Keen in his parents apartment.  I admit even some of my games
aren't that fun.  But it's the feeling of accomplishment, of making
something fun that other people can play and say wow, this game is neat.
Other people like programming things that aren't fun but useful.  The
recognition isn't as great, but the impact is greater. (ie.  Geoff
Crammond programmed GPII, the best driving game ever.  Who created DOS,
the operating system of the century.)

I have programmed a basic Quadratic formula and graphical Newton's Method
program.  The first to make tests easier and MY FIRST TI-82 PROGRAM!  The
second was on a bet w/my friend in calculus class.  He was too smart and
wouldn't put money on me writing the program in two days, in school.  I
gave that program away, because the teacher wouldn't give the class his
until after the quiz.  The quadratic eq. was kept a secret because we
wanted an advantage on tests.  (Mr. Penski learned a lot that year).

What I am trying to say is that if you want to program games or
applications on the calculator, fine.  That's what this group is for.
Just don't expect a general discussion group to be topic-specific.  We
need people like you to help develop applications for the calculators,
especially since many of us are more concerned with making games.
BTW:  Those interested in making applications should at least subscribe
to the digest version of Graph-TI, It's not just for teachers anymore.

~Larry C
Larry1492@juno.com