Re: SD: Let me propose something then...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: SD: Let me propose something then...

The problem with that is that the address of the memory allocated to the
program is variable, which will slow down the program, sort of like using
PROGRAM_ADDR. So if you are going to implement something like this, using
usgard like relocation for some or all RAM adresses might be a better idea.
Also if you are planning to make it possible for a program to allocate
memory while it is running, remember that you need some where to make sure
that all other programs update their pointers to much the new memory layout.

Wont the new way make it less obvious to the programer what is actually
happening? As long as you are using a table like ZShell, there will be a lot
of addresses which it wont be possible to call, so the programmer will need
to know what addresses are supported anyway. If the programmer needs to know
about the ROM calls anyway then using ROM calls directly seems just as easy.
Another solution would be to include functions like ROM_CALL and FPROM_CALL
and make the assembler automatically detect which one fits the current call.
That would make it easier to use the ROM, but on the TI85 that would require
a lot of space.

Dines