SD: DHOS Numeric Authority

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

SD: DHOS Numeric Authority

Hey there all.  It had to happen sometime, someone would claim authority
on something for the DHOS project =) Well this is only to facilitate
development on a shell with support for icons.  In string85, if you type

string85 <inputfile> hxx,yy

Then the header of the string will be $xxyy.  BSharp81@aol.com and I,
two of the website team guys, would like to see proprietary file formats
use the header $e2yy for purposes of assigning the correct icon,
allowing programs to find their own datafiles, etc.

So, here's the deal.  If your program for DH85 is going to use .85s
files for areas, levels, weapons, monsters, or whatever, (such as SQRXZ
and Balloons do) then contact me and BSharp81@aol.com for a header to
use.  You'll definitely get one (BSharp and I are not in the business of
deciding who needs a header file, nor can we enforce restrictions) but
this way you'll know you're getting a unique one.

When the $e2xx headers run out, if they should for some reason, we'll
move to e3yy.  When the $exyy series expires, should it ever, we'll move
up to $fyxxx.  If that expires, then DAMN, we picked the wrong hardware
platform.  =)

So far there is only one data type:
$e200 - Icon Library

I'll get this up on the website (whose URL has not yet been released but
it is going good) ASAP.  We'll just assign the numbers sequentially
unless you want a certain number.  Again, this is just an informational
service.  I'm not trying to limit or control or profit from the
assigning of these numbers.

--Matt Cooper

PS--The headers already in use will be supported by the OS.  Such as
SQRXZ levels, Balloons levels, Usgard/ZShell programs, etc.

PPS--You may go ahead and "sign up" for a header number even though no
programming has begun on DHOS.  Remember, send the email to both myself
and BSharp81@aol.com

PPPS--In case you're wondering, the icon library file format will
EVENTUALLY look SOMETHING like this:

.db $e200
.db "Icons",0
.db %01110000
.db %00100111
.db %00100100
.db %01110111
.db %00000000
.db %01110110
.db %01010101
.db %01110101

All the entries will be in one file, btw.