LZ-Adv: .db's and stuff

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

LZ-Adv: .db's and stuff

	I feel like I have to reply to this in case someone actually
believes that I'm out there just waiting to screw with programs...

>Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day; but teach a man how to fish,
>and
>he shall never go hungry again.  I'll tell you how, but I won't do
>your
>work for you.  Ok, the .db stands for data bytes, and is stored in the
>compiled program as raw data.  When you say 'LD AL, String', and at
>the
>end, you have a...
>String:
>   .db "Hello World"
>the proessor loades the data BYTE by BYTE (instead of word by word as
>.dw
>tells the compiler to do).  To edit this, you can do one of two
>things.
>You could disassemble the program and just edit it, and then
>reassemble it,
>or you could hex-edit the compiled program, and search through all of
>the
>hex to find what you're looking for.  Then you could simply edit this,
>and
>save it, but then the checksum needs to be recomputed, and I'm not
>sure how
>to do this.  Why, are you trying to make a program say that you wrote
>it?
>There is already a program for Zshell that does this for you.  But
>since
>the release of this, programmers are storing credits as bit-mapped
>splash
>screens, which are larger, and next to impossible to edit.

	I have no interest in messing with other people's programs. I'm
trying to learn how to use .db's in the program that I am already
making. I need to know how to  create a self-modifying string, and I need
to know how to store and access .db's for graphics. I hope my question is
now clearer.

Thanks

.\\ark