math question: arccos4

[Next][Index][Thread]

math question: arccos4

can someone explain to me how to evaluate expressions like arccos4 and arcsin2?
I don't mean on my calculator, i know how to do that, i want to know how to
answer an examination question that expects me to show my working.

The questions are like:
Find the following in the form a+ib (where a and b are real):
1) arccos 4
2) arcsin 2
3) arcsin i

The answers given in my text-book (with no explanations) are:
1) 2m*pi +- i arcosh 4
2) (4m + 1) * pi/2 +- i arcosh 2
3) n*pi + i arsinh[(-1)^n]

I've tried doing the sums as follows (for number 1):
let arccos 4 = z
therefore, cos z = 4
or cosh iz = 4
or iz = arcosh 4
or z = -i*arcosh 4

>From here, i can put the solution into the formula for the general solution of
cos A = C, and that seem to give me the books answer.

But if i do this for sum no. 2, i get
z = -i * arsinh(-2i), which when put into the general solution of sin A = C,
gives me
z = n*pi +[(-1)^n]*(-i * arsinh(-2i)), which is not the books answer.

What should i do? the exam is in 14 days...
...from the other aspiring geek, the $al-Man
(AKA NineTurningMirrors, AKA ByteChild)
alien-angel@the-pentagon.com - smoke_jaguar@email.com
ICQ #: 58895095  -  http://members.nbci.com/ZeroMaster/
Some of the questions that were asked of the Sydney Olympic
Committee via their Web site, and answers supplied where appropriate:

Q: Can you give me some information about hippo racing in Australia?  (from USA)
A: What's this guy smoking, and where do I get some?