Re: New Topic--Calculator resale

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: New Topic--Calculator resale

As the others said, most trade in used calculators is handled one-on-one
(much of it moves through the classified ads at ticalc.org) or through pawn
shops.  However, there certainly are some ways you could facilitate things
in the atmosphere of a community college.  Ask the bookstore about buying
and selling used calculators just like they do books.  They might go for it.
 If not, get a bulletin board somewhere, write across the top of it "used
calculator sales", and encouage outgoing math students to post an ad on the
board if they know they won't need their calculator again.

>Here's the gist of my query.  The community college I tutor at requires
students to purchase a TI-83 (or higher--but the vast majority purchase the
TI-83) for any class from college algebra on up.  Most of these calculators
wind up collecting dust in a drawer after the students finish their
course(s).  Semester after semester a new crop of TI-83's is purchased, and
the old crop retired to the dusty drawer.  The bookstore sells used books
but not used TI-83's.  I think it should sell used TI-83's.  Any experience
out there with used calculator resale?