Re: For Sale: TI-85 Graphing Calculator ViewScreen Calculator &

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: For Sale: TI-85 Graphing Calculator ViewScreen Calculator & Kit

> > That's way off topic, but since you mention it, what has Bill Clinton done
> > for me?  Balance the federal budget?  No, wait, that was the Republican
> > congress.
>
> Uh... WHO was President at the time? You might do better crediting Reagan
> with balancing the budget via trickle-down. Just ignore the fact that it
> began 15 years prior, that few believed in it, and that the deficit under
> him grew astronomically.

Note that neither Clinton nor the Republican Congress could have passed the
"balanced budget" without the other one's approval.  Also note that due to the
"emergency spending" that goes on in Congress, and all the "off-budget"
programs, we _really_ don't have a true balanced budget yet.

> > Provide national health care?  No, wait, he couldn't get that
> > past a congress that was dominated by his own political party.  Oh yes,
> now
> > I remember, he raised my taxes!
>
> Aren't you thinking of George Bush? Oh, wait. HE didn't raise taxes--he
> promised he wouldn't--we read his lips--remember? Yeah. It must have been
> the Democrat-dominated congress.

Since we are in the business of showing everyone's "broken promises"...Didn't
Clinton promise to remove the ban on gays in the military?  Didn't he promise
universal health care coverage?  Didn't he plan to save social security AND
medicare?  Gosh what happened there?

> But WHO was president when the Dow and NASDAQ rose to all-time highs? Or
> should we credit the Republican congress? Or Alan Greenspan? Didn't Reagan
> appoint him? Yeah. Credit Greenspan.

Alan Greenspan.  Also credit the tech. industry, which is mostly responsible for
this.  Clinton didn't do anything. :)

> And WHO was president when unemployment shrunk to its lowest rate in many
> years? Ah, it doesn't matter. Just credit the Republicans again. We all know
> how much they value jobs for the lower classes. And health care for them,
> for that matter. And public schools. And yadda yadda...

The president himself gets way too much credit when things go good, and way too
much criticism when things go bad.  It wasn't totally Bush's fault that the
economy went bad the last year of his presidency and that basically costed him
re-election.

Who was president when the car was invented?  Wasn't that Woodrow Willson or
someone like that?  Gosh, some things are just luck :)

> This is EXACTLY why I majored in and taught math. It's impossible to twist
> mathematical facts to "prove" your point.

Well, you can twist graphs to make them look however you want to. :)

Bryan