Re: Ethical Use

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Ethical Use

Here's my take on it.

Being a high-school sophomore in Honors Pre-Calculus (normally a
senior-level class), there's a lot of hard stuff to learn.  However, my
Ti-86, though not nearly as advanced as a 89/92(+), can do at least some of
the things we do in class automatically.  (BTW, AFAIK there is an absolute
maximum of five students (likely less) at my entire school of over 3000
students that use the higher calculators, and the only one I know personally
still can't figure out half the stuff on it.  Knowing him, he probably
bought it for the 68k games.)  What I do is I learn what we are doing really
good 'by hand' (but it's likely still calc-assisted in some ways), and if I
think I'm good enough at it, I will look in the manual and see if there's a
way for the calc to do it for me.  If there is, quite honestly, why do huge
amounts of work for 20 problems when you can do it in much less, especially
when the teacher practically encourages you to do that?  The best way around
it, for the teacher, is to simply add the following three words to any
question, sure to make a calc-dependent student sweat and the good student
laugh: SHOW ALL WORK.

Kirk Lane
snake64@geocities.com
snake64@yahoo.com