Re: Comparisson TI 89 vs HP 48 GX

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Comparisson TI 89 vs HP 48 GX

On Sat, 8 May 1999 14:15:14 -0400, "Indifference" <indif69@usa.net>
wrote:

>slower". That statement I don't agree with. BUT, the TI-89 processor is
>faster (i.e. more Mhz)
I know.  I wrote that.  I was responding to jemfinch's claim that the
HP's numeric processor was faster (it's not)  He posts quite a bit of
unsubstantiated opinion, and little else.  Like I said, I tried both
calcs head to head, and the TI's numeric solver was faster.  For
example, to evaluate e^(x^2)=400, using an initial guess of 0, my TI
was done before my finger was off the enter key, the result appearing
practically instantly.  The HP on the other hand, took about 4
seconds.
As far as the user interface goes, try using both calcs.  You'll agree
the HP 48GX user interface is slower.  I've never seen another calc
other than the 48GX that you had to WAIT for the menus to open.  Just
plain using the HP is slower as well.  Take for example computing the
indefinite integral of a function.  On the TI you just enter it in the
form int(f(x),x where int is the integration symbol, and press enter.
That's it, you're done.   On the HP, according to the manual page
20-7, you have to open the integrate form (one of the menus I
mentioned you have to wait to open), enter the expression in one
field, the variable to integrate WRT in another, 0 and the variable to
integrate WRT in the lower and upper limit fields respectively, make
sure result is set to symbolic, and press ok.  Next the gyrations
really start.  Evaluate the closed form expression, make sure it's on
level 1 of the stack, press some funky key sequence to discard the
limits of integration you just entered, and finally, press eval to
evaluate the expression at the upper limit.
Another example is the numeric solvers on both.  Take the example I
already mentioned.  On the TI, one need only type solve(e^(x^2)=400,x)
and hit enter.  To do the same thing on an HP, one must press
(grnshift) solve, wait for a menu, press enter to select solve an
equation, wait again, press edit to edit the expression wait again,
enter the expression in single quotes, press ok, wait some more, enter
the initial guess, wait again, arrow down, and press solve for the 4
second wait.
As a subjective test, sit down with a TI user, and do the same work on
your HP.  I frequently do this using my TI with HP users.
Consistently, I am done first.
By considering all that I've just said,  I can feel quite confident in
saying the TI is a faster calculator, both in raw processing power,
and in speed of use (user interface)
No, I find using the TI much faster, not just different.  With my TI I
get more work done in less time, with much less frustration.  And
that's what I use a calc for.

>About the HP being able to not use RPN, post a message in <comp.sys.hp48>
>asking that question. You'll get tons of replys.
Perhaps I'll get a ton of replies, but how do I set my HP not to use
RPN?  I say it can't be done, find no mention of such a setting in the
manual, have never heard of it before nor has anyone I know who uses
an HP.  Since you seem to know differently indifference, since you're
saying it can be done, please do tell how I can set my HP calc not to
use RPN.  I think even HP would like to hear the answer to that.