Re: Dismissal from ticalc.org

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Dismissal from ticalc.org

I, too, have to be on Bryan's side here.  There are a number of issues:
*Bryan and the file archives:
Being a perfectionist myself, I understand and agree completely with Bryan's
reasons for wanting exclusive control.  Many times have I done something
myself to prevent someone else from screwing it up.  Perfectionists are
a pain in the butt sometimes, but they are valuable assets to any staff.
Also, I had no idea that Bryan tested every program and also went beyond
submissions to gather programs.  That's committment, people.  There are
people you couldn't pay and get that much from.  Everybody knows that
ticalc.org and the two other calc-mega-sites are file archives first and all
that other stuff second.  Bryan did an amazing job with the archives and we
already know that his replacement isn't going to work nearly as hard.
*ticalc.org's grievances:
Among them was that Bryan took control of other people's jobs when their
performance did not satisfy him.  Bryan denies it.  But even if it were
true, I would again count this as a good thing.  If Bryan cared that much
about the site to do other people's jobs or at least complain when they
aren't doing them, then it could only have made ticalc.org a better site.
They also complained that Bryan was argumentative.  I know what it's like to
be right yet also surrounded by idiots who won't listen.  I sympathise with
Bryan.
*The method of dismissal:
Even if Bryan had been on-line at the time, that's what, five whole minutes
notice?  Oh wow.  To plot behind his back and then stick a knife in it the
way they did is dispicable.  It makes the remaining ticalc.org staff look
even more like a%%holes then when Bryan erased TI-Files.  Speaking of
which...
*The TI-Files hack:
At the time I was distressed that Bryan did such a thing, but now that I
think about it, it was kind of funny.  Heck, why else would someone give him
that password if they didn't want him to do some damage.  Besides, TI-Files
should have been able to restore their backups within 15 minutes.  That they
didn't says something about them.
*A ticalc.org boycott:
If only we could.  But there are too many people that visit the site and
have no idea who Bryan even is.  I suppose we could make up an "I support
Bryan Rabeler" anti-ticalc.org graphic for our web pages.  I'll even do it
myself if there is interest.  At any rate, ticalc.org will continue, but
they probably won't be the best calc-mega-site anymore.  TI-Files, anyone?
*A work of thanks:
I'd like to thank Bryan for thinking of me back when they were looking for a
staff member to do the FAQ and help e-mail (the job eventually went to
Nathan Haines).  It's for the better that I didn't get the position since I
now don't have to resign it over this travesty.
*To close:
I wish Bryan all the best, and I hope he doesn't drop out of sight in the TI
community just because the twits at ticalc.org didn't appreaciate all he did
to make their site a better place.
     Ray Kremer
(This note simul-posted on the CALC-TI list and ticalc.org's "Our side of
the story" comment board.)