Re: Cable or Port test Software?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Cable or Port test Software?

I've even had trouble with it transferring some files and not transferring
others.  For instance, I'm getting some lab reports which include the lab
report and two or three embedded "print objects" (a graph, a data variable,
usually a y= or two).  Some times they'll transfer fine.  Some times they
will give me errors.  Sometimes it's helpful to shut GraphLink down and
restart it, sometimes it isn't.  Usually I just keep trying and eventually
I'll get a successful transfer.  It fails more often on longer variables
(screen shots, for instance) than shorter ones (y1, for instance).  The
manual suggested trying fresh batteries, but these are less than two weeks
old; if I need absolutely brand new out of the pack in the last 10 minutes
batteries, this is a useless system that needs fixed.  I suspect at least
some of the problem is the fact that it's a 16-bit program (as in Windows
3.1) and it's probably assuming a level of access to the serial port that it
doesn't have under a modern OS (I'm running NT 4, I had fewer problems under
95, which is closer to Win 3.1 and supports my hypothesis).  For whatever
it's worth I've never had a whisper of trouble with the TI-86 GraphLink
(which uses the same cable), so it's either software or a hardware problem
with the 89.  If it's the latter, I'm going to try to get my money back on
the calculator.

<whine>
Now I know this is beta software, but for heaven's sake, the calculator has
been out for 6 months now.  If they hadn't started the software until the
calculator was released, there's no earthly reason that I can see why it
should take 6 months to write what is essentially a basic file transfer
program.  I would not have purchased it if not for the link capability
(having the numbers alone isn't useful enough for me; the ability to
generate a lab report I can print out and file with my qc documentation is
extremely helpful).  I've spent more time today trying to transfer the
results of my work than I have actually *doing* the work.  It's about time
TI thought about getting the software finished.  Or if they can't for
whatever reason, publish the protocol so the rest of us can (I'd like a
Linux version anyway).

Even as a beta, they haven't updated it since November.  I write software
full time.  If I put software this unreliable in beta I'd have been in
trouble.  If I left it in beta this long, I'd have been in serious trouble.
</whine>

Tim Dixon         tdixon@fwi.com        http://www2.fwi.com/~tdixon
"I hoped that You would write to me a message in the stars, as if the
stars themselves were not enough."  -- from  a Pam Thum song