Everybody...Please Read THIS!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Everybody...Please Read THIS!

I have a TI-86 and I'm mailing everyone on this list to watch out!
Recently I downloaded a program in the Assembly archive at the TI-FILES
web site.  As you probably know, all the programs are broken down into
categories, ex: Arcade-based games, Helpful Programs, etc.

Anyways...there is a program listed under the "FUN PROGRAMS" section of
the TI-86 Assembly archive called "NoWayOut!"...DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT
DOWNLOAD THIS PROGRAM UNLESS YOU WANT TO MESS UP YOUR CALCULATOR.  I made
the mistake of downloading it yesterday, and this is how it went:

I downloaded the program onto my calculator, and I ran it.  Then this
message FLASHED up on my screen saying "NoWayOut!"  then it shut my
calculator OFF!  Then when I tried to turn it back on, it didn't.  So I
thought maybe the program drained my batteries.  So I replaced them, and
turned the calculator on.  And the same exact message popped up and shut
off again.  No matter what I did, it wouldn't work.  So I opened the back
of my calculator (battery compartment) and unscrewed the cover of the
back up battery and took it out.  And then I put back all the AAA
batteries and turned the calculator back on.  And it worked!  So I put
the back up battery back in and everything went back to normal.  I think
that when the person made this program, he made it to where it installed
itself into the back up battery so that no matter what I did, it wouldn't
work.  That's what I think.  I may not be correct however.

And that's how it went.  If you download a program and it does NOT come
with a README file, then I recommend not putting it onto your calculator.
 Usually that means trouble!  And one more thing, there is also a program
listed under the "HELPFUL PROGRAMS" section of the TI-86 Assembly Archive
files called "Virus Checker".  First of all, it does not work.  It will
say that it has found 537 viruses on your calculator, but there really
isn't.  And if you're wondering how I know all of this stuff, well...I
have a BORLAND C++ Programming Editor on my computer where I can make
WINDOWS and DOS applications.  There is a section in my program where I
can view ASSEMBLY files.  And when I viewed the ASSEMBLY file for this
"Virus Checker" program, there was a long statement stating that this
program is just a joke to pull on NEWBIE TI-86 owners.  My point is, that
everyone needs to be careful upon downloading programs from ASSEMBLY
archives anywhere on the World Wide Web.

If you have any questions or comments, just e-mail me at:
Liszt2001@juno.com

-Brian