Re: trouble programming!!!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: trouble programming!!!

> hello my name is jake and i'm having trouble programming the ti-82.
> For instance, when I finish typing in the program the calculator gives a
> syntax error. When I check it, it always points to 0/->/Xmin
> It always points to the divided sign after the  greater than sign.
> Why is this. e-mail me at escovedo@hotmail.com with your answer. thank you
> jake

Others may have already pointed out the basic misunderstanding here.
Probably the person sending the message is trying to enter a piece of code,
keystroke by keystroke, from a listing in ASCII. The problem is that there
is not an ASCII character for every keystroke or command on the TI-82 (or
other TI calculators), and some keys have to be represented by a coded
sequence.

In particular, the "store" key STO, which one would like to have a nice
right arrow to represent, has to be listed in ASCII as /->/ where the slashes
are meant as "escape characters". (Actually, I believe that back-slashes \ are
actually used in the listings). When this sequence is encountered in a listing,
just press the STO key. Similarly for other escape sequences -- most of them
are fairly easy to figure out just by looking.

RWW Taylor
National Technical Institute for the Deaf
Rochester Institute of Technology
Rochester NY 14623