Re: I need a new calculator...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: I need a new calculator...

Hi Carlene,

First some links, just in case,

http://www.ti.com , especially the calc comparison chart at
http://www.ti.com/calc/docs/gmtrx.htm

I'm a high school senior too. In grade 9 I (along with just about
everyone else at the school) bought an 82, this year people are
getting 83s for grade 9. So I had a chance to get a good look at the
differences between the 82 and 83. My conclusion: there are virtually
none! The only things I noticed where the new screen, different graph
styles and complex numbers. About the 83+, I read the specs a
www.ti.com and it seems to me it's just the same thing over again with
the flash rom and a few little other things of no real import. All
this to say: Do NOT get an 83/83+!

Then that leaves you with the choice between the 86 and the 89 (I
gather you're not interested in the 92/92+ for the same reasons as the
rest of us...).

I have an 86, it already offers a lot more than the 83, and it'll
probably be enough for me until I get to university (then again, maybe
not).  It does have more features than 82/83 but considering that it
wasn't that much cheaper than an 89, that I'm gonna need to buy the 89
anyway in a while and that, the way it looks to me, TI is gonna make
an 86+ soon, just like for the 83, I already regret not going for the
89.

So, I say invest in an 89 now, it'll probably be the last calc you
will ever need to buy.

So, to sum it up,

1-whatever you do, don't get an 83/83+, it is the same thing as the
82, meant for high school students...
2-The 86 is not worth it when compared to the other calcs.
3-The 89 looks like a great calc, the most advanced one from TI, but
it's to f***ing expensive.
4-The 92 and 92+ have been replaced by the 89, the only real advantage
they offer is the QWERTY keyboard and the "Geometry application". I
don't know what that is exactly, but it sounds pretty useless to me.

BTW, don't even look at the 85, it's been replaced by the 86, just
like the 82 by the 83, and now by the 83 plus.

Remember, this is just my opinion. To make up your mind you should
check out everything you can at www.ti.com/calc , maybe even download
the manuals (you can, in .pdf format), weigh the pros and cons, and
then hope you made the best choice.

Hope this helped somewhat,

Philipp Keller

Carlene Van Stone <cvs@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
36A1791C.FBB575CF@bigfoot.com">news:36A1791C.FBB575CF@bigfoot.com...
>I am a high school senior, and I currently use a TI-82 calc.  I want
>get a new one, but I don't know which to get.
>
>I need it to finish off the year in calculus, and for college, where
>want to study Management Information Systems or CIS.
>
>I'm thinking of getting the TI-89, but I don't know if it's worth it.
>For me it's a lot of money to spend on a calculator...  I'm also
looking
>at the TI-83 for a simpler, less expensive model, as well as the
TI-83
>plus...
>
>what are your suggestions?  (send them quickly!!)
>
>carlene

Follow-Ups: References: