Re: TI82 or 89 ? which is more user friendly ?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

hoonsk <hoonsk@ee.tamu.edu> wrote:

>Hi,
>  I'm trying to see whether I should buy a TI82 or TI89. I gather that
>TI89 is for intensive math calculation. I need one for my engineering
>study. However, I think TI82 seems to be easier to use consider those
>buttons I saw on the picture resemble closely to the scientific cal.
>e.g. function such as log, sqrt,x-1,x2 ... This would save me time
>wondering what button to use during Exams (compare to TI89) !
>  I wonder TI89 and 82 user care to comment ?
>
>Thanks.

As usual with responses to questions of this sort that get posted here,
a variety of opinions have been expressed. I need to agree with
SPUI <dem@MORASESKI.REMOVEIMA-NET.COM> , who writes:

> If you're gonna get the 82, get the 83, or even better, 83+

The TI-83 was released as a functional replacement for the TI-82 several
years ago. Not only does it have a much clearer display screen, but a
large number of enhancements were built in, including the ability to
work with complex numbers, greatly improved stat capabilities (including
trigonometric regression -- a cutting-edge technology), and a nice solver.
Also, much better handling of lists, and the ability to store strings too.
The TI-83+ has just been announced (I'm not sure whether it is currently
for sale). As I understand it, this is basically a TI-83 with flash-ROM
technology, so that owners will be able to upgrade their calculators as
new software comes out in the future.

Given all this, why should TI still be selling TI-82's? My own suspicion
is that it is customer demand, mostly driven by instructors and
administrators using materials developed for the TI-82 which they are
unwilling or unable to upgrade. I believe this is unfortunate, and that
students (and others) who are enticed into buying a new TI-82 nowadays
are being short-changed. As the fellow says, "get the 83".

Or, maybe the TI-89. This is whole different class of calculator/computer,
a Maserati compared with a Volkswagen. To make a decision between these
two calculators you have to consider what you want to do with it. Working
around my house and yard, I have occasional need for the nine-pound hammer
I keep in my basement. More often I want a nice clawhammer. Sometimes my
little tack-hammer is just the thing, though. It's the same with calculators.

The original writer mentioned "engineering study", but didn't say exactly
where he or she might be starting. If you are already up to differential
equations, say, you might want something more powerful than a TI-83 to
explore with, in which case the TI-89 would be an excellent choice. If,
however, you are just escaping from use of an old-fashioned scientific
calculator, with all of its limitations, then the TI-83 would be an
excellent modern calculator to start growing with. Certainly there is
enough power there to carry you through all pre-calculus courses and into
introductory calculus, plus wonderful statistics capabilities.

The writer also asks about user-friendliness, which is an excellent point
to consider. As it happens, both the TI-83 an TI-89 score pretty well in
this category (good planning at TI). Our local Office Max store has all
the models on fixed display, arranged so that shoppers can actually try
them out. Look around and see if you can find an opportunity to compare the
calculators directly in this way.

Gee, we should have had such choices back when I was in college!  :-)}

RWW Taylor
National Technical Institute for the Deaf
Rochester Institute of Technology
Rochester NY 14623