Re: Help buying a calculator

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Help buying a calculator

On 7 Feb 1999 03:45:54 GMT, stl137@aol.com (STL137) wrote:

><<I'm a 9th grade student looking to buy a graphing calculator, but I know
>nothing about this sort of thing. I'll need it to be able to do
>everything from Algebra to Calculus, and maybe more (I'd like it to
>last). I was wondering if anyone would be so gracious as to help me make
>a decision, and answer a question for me:
>-Does the programming language differ from Ti-8x model to model?
>Any help is greatly appreciated, and Thank You.
>>>
>BAD IDEA. Don't get sucked into this trap. It all depends on what math you're
>in. I would strongly, STRONGLY advise you not to get anything above a TI-86 if
>you can't do Calculus yet. And if you're not proficient in Algebra (I mean to
>the point where you can breathe it), then don't get a graphing calculator at
>all. Get a TI-85 or 86 when you're very good with Algebra and going on to
Trig,
>etc. Get a TI-92 when you're past the basics of Calculus (integration and
>differentiation). And then, USE IT SPARINGLY! Don't let the calculator think
>for you. I've avoided this fate, but I know people who can't differentiate a
>thing without their 92 - bad, bad, bad. Only get a calculator when you can do
>most everything that it can do - and then, don't use it to do anything you
>can't do yourself.

So are you saying buy a new calc every year?    I think a graphing
calc is a HUGE aid in learning about functions.  All the Algebra
classes I've seem around here require a graphing calc.  And a calc
that you can check your answers with, (I had a 92 through calc I, II
and III, ODE's and PDE's) can be a huge aid in checking answers and
exploring the subject.
If someone is going to cheat, they will do it, regardless of if they
do it with their calc, or another means.  And if you are going to do
the work on the calc, why bother to take the course?
I'd say get the best calc you can afford up to and including the 89,
and if standardized tests aren't an issue, get a 92 and throw in a
plus module.

Follow-Ups: References: