Re: TI-89: How to convert decimal sto fractions and vice versa

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-89: How to convert decimal sto fractions and vice versa

Right, I forgot the "exact()" command which
sometimes doesn't give me what I want. In your
illustrative case, the fraction 45.328 \approx
2765/61 might also be of interest.

A partial fraction for x is
1/(a+1/(c+1/(...)))=M/N, where M and N are
integers, and one simply chooses |x-M/N| to be
small.

Dick Smith wrote:

> In article <36B7AC90.8B6984D3@echip.com>,
>           bwheeler@echip.com (Bob Wheeler) wrote:
>
> ] It isn't there. You will have to use a partial
> ] fraction expansion to form a numerator and
> ] denominator.
>
> This isn't right.  You don't need Partial Fractions to convert decimals to
> fractions, you just need to use the command exact(
>
> Just how would you use Partial Fractions to convert 45.328 (for example) to
> 5666/125, or onwards to 45 + 41/125 ?
>
> Dick
>
> --
> Dick Smith                                           dick@risctex.demon.co.uk
> Acorn Risc PC                                  http://www.risctex.demon.co.uk

Bob Wheeler --- (Reply to: bwheeler@echip.com)
        ECHIP, Inc. --- (302) 239-6620, voice and
FAX
           724 Yorklyn Rd., Hockessin, DE 19707
              Randomness comes in bunches