Re: [How To???] ROM 2.03 - Upgrade

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: [How To???] ROM 2.03 - Upgrade

> I've tried several times to upgrade my TI-89.  There must be some big
> secret that I haven't discovered.  I can't find the upgrade file to
download,

You are looking to download a file named ti89base.exe which will unzip into
ti89base.u which can then be sent to your 89 via the graph link menus.

You will find ti89base.exe at http://www.ti.com/calc/flash/89winbase.htm for
Windows (go to http://www.ti.com/calc/flash/89.htm for Mac or other) and
click I ACCEPT at bottom (scroll down). Finally click the TI89base.exe link
to download. Run this program to unzip the contents then go to graphlink 89
and send the new guts to your 89.

(You might want to PRINT the page you downloaded from; it has detailed
instructions about how to proceed once you have successfully downloaded.)

> I don't believe my newer PC has a COM port extra that I can use.  Still
> working on that problem, though.

IF your PC has ONE physical serial port (that you see sticking out the back
of your PC) AND IF your mouse is plugged into that port, you have problems.

Otherwise, connect to ANY COM port you see in the rear of your PC. You might
have to go to Control Panel to make logical connection to this port, BUT
just go into the graph link software and try to get the screen from your 89.
If it fails, try the other listed COM ports one by one.

It's not entirely easy, but it always works, eventually.

> So I've temporarily stopped trying to upgrade my newer TI-89, version
1.05.
> I'll just live with it until I can get some of this figured out.  I'm not
> stupid
> person by any means, but the docs/web pages and other instructions are
> totally unclear on how to do accomplish the upgrades.

There are a LOT of links to follow during the process. I had trouble, too.
In the end, it WAS logical!

> I didn't want to mess around too much because I read some time ago that
> someone uploaded an upgrade to his TI-89.  The unit locked up and he
> couldn't do anything else with it.  Even after removing the batteries (all
> of them, including the round one)!  Recommended solution was to return
> the unit to where he purchased it.

Eek. MY upgrade went flawlessly, though slowly.

Go for it.

Dave Slomer
Greenhills, OH
davidslomer@geocities.com