Re: ti89: questions

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: ti89: questions

SPUI wrote:

> You can local it inside the main program instead of the subprogram.

No, the subprogram will only be able to reach its own local variables and
global variables. It cannot reach the variables of the calling program even
if it is a subprogram. But this is normal for procedural languages.

> For #2: use assembly. That's the only way.

I am thinking about it... I am waiting for more information about the ROM
of the TI89 (i.e. table of entry points). But it means that TI haven't
think cleverly to their language. This is a BIG miss which probably make
their basic useless for serious programs (yes, we can do serious program
with this rather slow language :-). Solution to correct this miss is to
introduce one of the following features:

1- Give a way to pass parameters by address but safely like VAR in Pascal.
2- Authorise function to do I/O (the simplest solution ?)
3- Give a scope resolution operator for variables like the :: in C++ (the
most complex solution !)

Normally the TI Basic should have 1- and 2- in order to be a complete
procedural language.

Thanks,

        Laurent.

--
[ Deniau Laurent -- Numerical Analysis and Signal Processing ]
[    CERN -- The European Laboratory for Particle Physics    ]