Re: My first TI-(TI-89)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: My first TI-(TI-89)

On Tue, 22 Sep 1998 16:48:34 -0500, ToddEStan
<toddestn@nospam.visi.com> wrote:

>Oh yeah, if you hate looking at the manual, you may want an 83, as your
>teachers can use them but probably not an 86 or 89.

I have a TI-83. I got it just because it is the most popular in my
high school. (Only about 30 graphing calculators in the entire school,
as it just opened, and there are only two grades as of now.) However,
it just so ahppens that my homeroom teacher teaches Algebra II Honors,
the first math class available that "suggests" getting a graphing
calculator. Each day before class, she gets out her instruction book
and tries to see how to perform the functions for that day. I figured
if she can do it, I can do it, so I am expecting a replacement TI-89
in the next day or so. The Pre- and AP Calculus classes aren't yet
thought of, but according to a local high school, most of them require
TI-85 or 86's. I figure it'd be easiest to get the one that will last
the longest and get used to it. It will save money and save you some
trouble if you have to switch calculators with upcoming classes.

I'd say the TI-83 is the best bet for high school. The TI-86 is great
if you want to take more advanced classes and possibly use it in
college. The TI-89 is great for those who love programming, want the
newest, don't mind not having many people to communicate with in
school  if you have a problem witht he calc, don't mind reading the
manual, and plan on using the calculator for a while to come.

Follow-Ups: References: