Re: Differences between 92 and 89?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Differences between 92 and 89?

>1. I see the 89 has an increased screen resolution over the 83, the 83
>screen holds 16 characters per row with 8 rows. Does the 89 fit more
>characters on the screen, or just have a higher resolution?
Those two statements generally mean the same thing.  However, the 89 home
screen is kind of different from the 83's so it doesn't really apply.  Is
the 89 screen better than the 83's?  Yes.

>2. Both the TI-92+ and TI-89 are listed as having 188K RAM and 384K Flash
>ROM. Whats up with the flash rom, is that where you can store programs?
>What is the total storage space as far as where I can put programs, 188K,
>384K, or 572K???
The Flash ROM means you can upgrade the calculator's software just by
downloading a file.  There is a portion of the Flash ROM set aside for
program storage, I beleive TI calls it a "user data archive" or some such
thing.

>3. The TI-92 Plus Module (plugs in I guess) to a normal TI-92 to upgrade it
>to a TI-92+ and expand memory. Can you put a TI-92 Plus Module into a
>TI-92+ calculator and expander the memory further, or into a TI-89
>calculator?
It's not really a memory expansion, it's a whole new ROM that just happens
to have more memory than the old one did.  Only one Plus Module per 92, and
the 89 already has one built in (so to speak).

>4. Do programs written on a TI-83 for a TI-83 work on the TI-92, TI-92+,
>and TI-89? Or programs for the 92 work on the 89?
The 92/92+/89 all share file types, so the majority of basic prorgams will
work on all three.  Some may need minor modifications.  Basic programs from
the 82/83 or 85/86 usually need more extensive modifications, but they too
can be adapted to run on the 92/92+/89.

>5. Can the TI-89 connect to a TI-83 to transfer programs? A 92 or 92+ to an
>83? Or an 89 to a 92?
Again, the 92/92+/89 share file types and can link to each other.  The 82
and 83 link to each other, and the 85 and 86 link to each other.  Mixing
calculators beyond that does not work.

>6. There is a product out there right now called the Memory Expander II.
>Right now there are no drivers for it for use on the TI-83, are there any
>for the 92, 92+, and 89?
I think there is for the 92.  The others are still new, so it will take a
while for the hackers to learn the system to write a driver.  Why doesn't
the 83 have a driver yet?  Laziness, I suppose.  All the people that would
know how to do it just haven't bothered.

>7. I currently have a TI-Graph Link I use to transfer programs from my
>Macintosh to my TI-83, will this still work with a 89, 92, 92+?
TI's Graph Link cable is universal to all TI calculators, you would need
only download the proper version of the link software from TI's weebsite.

>8. Anything else I should be concerned with or aware of about getting a 89
>or 92?
I think you've about covered it.  Realise that the 89 is a much better deal
than the 92 or 92+, unless you really really need geometry or a qwerty
keyboard.

Buy and Sell section.  http://www.ticalc.org

>Thanks!!
You're welcome!!