Damaged Link Port / Computer too fast?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Damaged Link Port / Computer too fast?

I got a question here.  I have a TI-86.  I made a parallel link for it, and
used a 2.5mm plug I got from radio shack.  It worked fine, but it seemed as
though it had gotten real loose after a while.

Then my computer fell apart, and I junked it.  I finally got a new computer,
but it wont transfer anymore.  It says "Waiting..." on my calc, I hit the
transfer button on the software on my comp, and three seconds later, my calc
says "Error (somthin or other), Transmission Error".  So I replaced my radio
shack plug with the plug on the TI calc-to-calc link.  Still didnt work.
My link cable checks out fine with LinkCheck.exe.

I was thinking that my link port was damaged until I read in the docs of my
link software that the TI has trouble communicating with fast computers.  My
old computer which the link worked fine on was a 486/66.  My new one, which
it doesnt work on is a Pentium-II/300.

Also, I had done nothing to my calculator after my old computer blew up, and
it had worked then.  Is it possible that my link port could have
spontaniously been damaged while the calc sat in my backpack for a month?  I
dont think so...

So whats up?  Damaged link port or a computer thats too fast?  Or something
else?

If my link port is damaged, how do I repair it?  I spent my last dollars on
this awsome calc, and I have nothing to pay TI for repairs, so I guess I
need to do it myself.

Also, when my calc is at the main screen, with the blinking cursor, and I
plug in my link cable, the cursor stops blinking for a minute, then
continues.  I was under the impression that this means that my link port is
working fine, since if the connection was bad, it would just stay frozen
forever until I unplugged it.

This is a pretty long question.  If you took the time to read it, I thank
you, and if you can help me out, I thank you even more...