Re: TI-92, HELP! Significative numbers!!!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Achpd <Achpd@AOL.COM> writes:

> << The rule (here, anyway)  >>
>
> Actually, the rounding rule in the US 30 years ago was - when you were
> at 5 - you rounded either up or down depending on which direction made it
> even. For example 2.5 goes to 2. and 3.5 goes to 4.
>
> I suspect this is what the original fellow was talking about when he
> mentioned Pairs, I think was his term.  Pairs meaning even.
>
> Sometime over the past 30 or so years the rule on rounding changed.

I don't think it is possible to talk about "the rule" in this way.  There are a
variety of rules for rounding, including the method of "non-biased rounding",
which directs that the final digit in the rounded result be even.  The purpose
of this rule is to avoid distorting data when you need to convert it to a less
precise form -- the mean of the result is likely to be closer to the mean of
the original data.  The whole question is which rule to use in what
circumstances -- which really is always the big question...

RWW Taylor
National Technical Institute for the Deaf
Rochester Institute of Technology
Rochester NY 14623