Re: My TI-85 drives me crazy.... a little bit

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: My TI-85 drives me crazy.... a little bit

> Hello,

> I have this function: e^x/cos(x)

> Now I want to get the extremes. The TI-85 says, that are -pi/2 and pi/2.
> If I calculate this by myself, I get -5/4pi; -pi/4, 3/4pi. Some pc
> programmes are on my side, also.
> What is wrong. Does the TI-85 have a malfunction or is it me?

> Bye                Michael

It's a question of local versus global, I think. And it points up a fundamental
difference between the way we tend to process information (visually) and the
way the calculator works (systematically, by rote).  Over what interval(s) are
you trying to maximize the function?

Oh, and BTW, you _do_ mean   e^(x)/cos(x)  don't you?

RWW Taylor
National Technical Institute for the Deaf
Rochester Institute of Technology
Rochester NY 14623