Re: TI86EMU Version .6

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI86EMU Version .6

Tom Lake wrote:

> >-Matt Johnson has created a homepage for TI86EMU, its on a link off his
> >page:
> > http://www.dogtech.com/cybop/ti86.
>
> Are you sure that's the right address?  I can't get into the site from this
> link.
>
> Tom Lake

The link is incorrect, a common mistake that a lot of people are not
aware of because a lot of browsers automatically try to correct them,
and often succeed.

When you browser encounters the link http://www.dogtech.com/cybop/ti86
it will look for the file named ti86 in the directory cybop, in the
domain www.dogtech.com, using the http protocol.
However, the link http://www.dogtech.com/cybop/ti86/ (note the slash at
the end) will cause it to look for the file index.html in the
subdirectory ti86 in the directory cybop and so on.
If it does not find the index.html it will usually either give you an
error message or a list of the directory structure.

Now that we are on the subject I would like to leave a comment to the
people reading this who sometimes post a URL to the mailing list.
Remember, www.ti.com is not a URL!
http://www.ti.com/ _is_
It is a small pedantic difference, but nonetheless important to your
browser. First of all, if you do not include the http:// your link will
not be interpreted as such and will thus not be made into a link by the
mailreaders that support this. If you do remember it you will make life
easier for those of us who can then just click it, instead of opening  a
new browser window and copy/paste-ing it.
Secondly, if you omit it when giving your browser a URL you save a small
amount of time not writing it. This time will be doubly used when your
browser tries to find out what kind of link you just gave it, given that
http is not the only protocol supported by up-to-date browsers.

Thank you for your time.

HTH. HAND.

--
          Rene Kragh Pedersen
(2) When joining the two chain ends, the closing spring is to be