Re: "\" key

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: "\" key

>  It doesn't exist.
>
>  There may be a utility like popchar 85 that will let you access
>  that character on the 82.
>
>  Sabianuser wrote:
>  >
>  > i cant find the "\" key on my t1-82
>  > can some one tell me where to find it

Before the discussion gets too heavy here, we really ought to stop and ask
WHY the requester wants to enter the backslash character into the TI-82.
It's possible that there is a misunderstanding regarding the use of \ as
a _metacharacter_ in ASCII listings.

For example, a listing in normal ASCII characters cannot include the "pi"
character (there -- I had to put it in quotes in order to communicate my idea).
So, instead, the four-character string \pi\ is written, with the intention that
the person entering the listing into his or her calculator just enter the "pi"
character.

If this is the point at stake, the person raising the question doesn't need to
know how to enter the backslash character, just how to interpret these special
strings.  Many of them are obvious.  Perhaps someone else on this list can
point to a reference where they are all listed.

RWW Taylor
National Technical Institute for the Deaf
Rochester Institute of Technology
Rochester NY 14623