Re: Enjoy solving problems?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Enjoy solving problems?

    My hacking experience is what brought me in on TI calc software.  I like
the challenge of changing program variables, etc.  I am proud to say that I
have defeated security on EVERY 85 and 86 BASIC or ASM program I've tried,
and it usually doesn't even require a bit of thought.

    You like to think that you can create 'security' for calc programs, but
the simple fact is that it CANNOT BE DONE.  At best, you could probably hide
your routine in system memory, which would probably cause errors in a few of
the calc's built-in functions.  Even then, hackers will still find the ASM
code, either by comparing mem w/ your prog to mem w/o, or by a
simple-to-program and easy-to-find-online hex editor, a long and drawn-out
task which nonetheless has never dissuaded me from a hack I really wanted.

    Finally, by adding security, you'll increase people's desire to break
your ware.  More complex software has a better rep not because it's hacked
less but because the REAL hackers take the fun stuff, and THEY don't fool
around with malicious attempt on your product.

    It's your choice.  My advice: don't even try.  If you do, send me a copy
of your ware.  It'll be fun to destroy to false sense of security that any
advanced protection method would instill in you.

Follow-Ups: References: