Re: TI83 Emulator for TI86

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI83 Emulator for TI86

On Sat, 6 Jun 1998 14:26:39 -0400, The Pletchers
<bpspcp-travelin@WORLDNET.ATT.NET> wrote:

>No, I think Ray has a point. If someone hass "rewritten" an 83, 82 and 85
>ROM, that raises some serious questions regarding the legality of such
>programming. I'll talk to TI about it.

        As long as  no code is copied from the copyrighted ROM, it is
quite legal.  Such "clean room" rewrites are nearly as old as  the
computer industry.  The first clone BIOS' for IBM PC's and the
Executor Macintosh emulator are examples of this which  are perfectly
legal.  Also, since 82 and 85 ASM programs are run using freeware
shell programs, one does not even need to copy/rewrite any TI code in
order to emulate them, just third-party code.

-Andy